GRIEF & LOSS SERVICES
Service of Remembrance Commemorative Weaving, 2016
Grieving is a highly personal and individual experience without a set timetable. The way you grieve and how it manifests itself depends on many individual factors. Some of these factors are connected to your personality, personal history, specific loss and life circumstances, relationship to the deceased and access to support or resources. Complicated and contradicting feelings like numbness, shock, confusion, sadness, anger, guilt, loneliness, relief and/or comfort are all appropriate after a significant loss, but can fluctuate in duration and intensity.
Although these feelings are appropriate during the loss experience, they can be very painful. They often affect the mourner deep within their mind, body and heart and as a result affects how they engage in the world around them. While there is no right or wrong way to grieve, mourners can learn healthy approaches to navigating their grief that can provide opportunities for balance, comfort, connection, growth and joy in life after loss.
The All Care Hospice Bereavement program understands these needs and as a result has created progressive programs that provide safe and confidential opportunities for support, commemoration, expression, connection and learning. All of our programs are designed with passion, experience, intention and feedback from the mourning community and it shows in the way our programs are organized and facilitated. All of the All Care facilitators are trauma informed and refer to other therapeutic resources as needed.
Grief is hard…but it doesn’t have to be hard alone. A safe circle of support and understanding is here for you!
“The grief groups at All Care were a Godsend. They gave me a better understanding of the grief process as well as a safe place to express my feelings, fears and hopes with other mourners. The group facilitator was fantastic; extremely knowledgeable, supportive and uniquely skillful at guiding us through this difficult journey. It’s wonderful to know that such an extraordinary service exists in our community. “
– Wendy N.
- A Licensed Mental Health Counselor
- A Registered Art Therapist
- A Certified Child Life Specialist
- Trained Bereavement Volunteers
- Experienced Educators
- To inquire further please call our Bereavement Coordinator:
- Liz Cumming, ATR, LMHC
The All Care Hospice Bereavement Program not only provides a safe, supportive and confidential opportunities for grief support and education, but it has also created a growing support community for mourners connecting with others who understand. All programs are open to the community and free of charge. Registration is mandatory for all programs by the date advertised. Programs are designed and facilitated by licensed professionals with extensive training and experience. The All Care Hospice Bereavement Program offers the following services:
Grief Counseling is available to individuals and families, of all ages, that would like help coping with grief and bereavement or would like help supporting others who are mourning. Counseling sessions are led by licensed and trained professionals with extensive experience in the areas of bereavement, grief, trauma and child development. Our therapists meet privately with individuals and families in counseling offices in Lynn and North Andover and home visits are available on a case by case basis. Not being able to meet in person doesn’t need to be a barrier to receive grief support. Depending on your needs grief support can be available via the phone as needed or on a scheduled basis.
Sometimes the grief experience can be so overwhelming that words fail to provide an appropriate outlet or a clear path to change. When words fail to capture our experiences, Art Therapy can provide a safe and effective way to communicate. Art Therapy is the therapeutic process of art making that can improve and enhance physical, mental and emotional well-being of individuals of all ages. The Registered Art Therapist assists mourners in engaging in the creative process in a supported and therapeutic way. Therapeutic relationship and art therapy process and can help increase functionality, resolve conflicts, develop skills, manage behavior, reduce stress, and receive comfort while achieving insight. – Adapted from the American Art Therapy Association
All support groups provide a safe place to mourn and remember, connect with others who understand, and will also provide education to help participants navigate life after loss. The following groups are offered throughout the year and as the need arises. New groups are created as needed per community request and as the schedule permits. The following are some of our groups that are offered on a rotating basis are:
- Connecting and Coping:
- A Loss of Spouse/ Life Partner Support Group
- Finding Your Way:
- Loss of Parent(s) and/or Guardian Support Group
- The Winding Path:
- A Workshop for Mourners After the First Year
- Lighting the Way:
- A Workshop for Coping Through the Holiday Season
Grief is hard, but there are certain times of the year when it can become more difficult. The following programs were designed help provide support and tools during some difficult seasons. The following are some Holiday based programs we offer:
- Lighting the Way:
- A Workshop for Coping Through The Holiday Season
- Remembering Mom:
- A Mother’s Day Workshop For Mourners
- Remembering Dad:
- A Father’s Day Workshop For Mourners
All Care Hospice believes in the therapeutic power of the creative process, personal ritual and community connection. The following workshops were created to provide diverse opportunities for comfort and wellness in life after loss:
- Navigating Grief: A Workshop for Education and Support
- This four week workshop is open to any adult mourner who would like to learn more about grief through the life cycle, complicated grief, trauma and some healthy approaches to coping with life after loss. This workshop is experiential and supportive. Each participate will receive helpful readings, resources and be invited to participate in discussions/ activities as comfortable. All sessions must be attended to participate.
- HeART Space: A Creative Process Workshop for the Bereaved
- This monthly, experiential workshop is open to any bereaved adult interested in exploring the creative process to aid in respite, expression, reflection and/or remembering during their grief journey. Each workshop will be facilitated by a Registered Art Therapist and will provide participants fun, supportive and expressive experiences. NO prior skill, experience or interest in art needed to participate. The workshop meets monthly and is open to new participants or one time attendance as approved by the facilitator.
- Hope Circle: Seasonal Ceremonies for Wisdom and Wellness
- Rituals are known to help provide order, comfort and meaning. In times of grief they can also be powerful sources of expression and wisdom. We have created four seasonal rituals that will provide mourners the opportunity to connect with others, themselves and to the wisdom of the season. This ritual workshop happens once a season and space is limited.
Our Services of Remembrance are an opportunity to come together to mourn, remember and honor the deceased, connect with others who understand and acknowledge the relationships we have built along the way. We provide two services of remembrance a year and both provide opportunities for comfort through poetry, music, art and connection.
- Tapestry of Love: A Summer Service of Remembrance (July)
- Lights of Remembrance: A Winter Service of Remembrance (December)
The All Care Hospice Bereavement program is here for any local organization or company that needs support, guidance or consult after a significant loss. Our bereavement team has been working within hospice and bereavement for more than a decade and are connected to many national and local organizations as well as online resources. Are you in search for a specific type of grief support or resource? If so, someone on our team may be able to help. We are happy to share our knowledge and resources.
We understand that making a call for help can take a lot of courage. We welcome all calls or inquiries and are happy to answer any questions you might have. Our programs are updated once a month and are listed on our website. If interested in staying connected you can also be added to our confidential email list to receive our calendar via email. All of the All Care Hospice Bereavement programs are free and open to the community, unless otherwise listed. Pre-registration is required, by the date listed, for participation in all programs. During this registration call you will participate in a brief phone intake to assure the program is right fit for you and your interests. The location of the program will also be provided during the registration intake.
You never know what is going to happen when you join a group, but what happened to me was great.
– Group Participant
“This program helped me feel more connected to myself, other and the resources available. I feel validated and supported.”
– Group Participant
After participating I feel more hopeful for the future, for the beyond
– Group Participant
This program helps me in ways there are no words for.
– HeART Space Group Participant
Hearing everyone tell their stories made me realize I am not alone
– Group Participant
Participating in Art Therapy gave me a feeling of relief. As if by drawing my future I can begin to believe things will get better
– Grief Counseling Client
This experience (support group) was soul lightening.
– Group Participant
I enjoyed last night’s Remembrance Ceremony. Aside from being beautifully done, it made me realize that through Allcare Hospice and the groups you have created, I have a new set of friends who understand what I am going through and are helping me make a new life for myself.
– Hospice family member and grief program participant
Lighting The Way: A Workshop to Help Navigate The Holiday Season
Friday 12/1/17, 1-3 pm, RSVP by 11/22/17
Tuesday, 12/5/17 6-8 pm RSVP by 11/28/17
North Andover, MA:
Monday, 12/11/176-8 pm RSVP by 12/4/17
HeART Space: A Monthly Workshop Celebrating the Power of the Creative Process
Third Friday, 11/17, 12/15/17…
RSVP required to attend
Hope Circle: Seasonal Ceremonies for Wisdom and Wellness
Winter: Thursday, 12/21/17, 6-8 pm, Lynn, MA, RSVP by 12/13/17
New Year: Friday, 2/2/18, 1-3 pm, Lynn, MA, RSVP by 1/25/18
Spring: Tuesday, 3/20/18, 1-3 pm, Lynn, MA, RSVP by 3/14/18
Summer: Thursday, 6/21/18, at 6-8 pm, Lynn, MA, RSVP by 6/13/18
Pre-registration by the date listed is required for participation. See flyer link above for more info.